Middle River Dyke, Machias - Part 2

There were ‘side’ advantages to the dyke. The Dec. 8, 1868 issue of the Machias Union reported “Lively times on the ‘Skating Rink’ above the big dyke.” A March 1877 issue of the Machias Union reported that Dyke Park is open to the public. The track was finished and persons and parties driving for pleasure are invited to use the course. No toll or tariff at present, so that trotting speed can be tested and horses initiated to Dyke Park.  Again in June 1877 the Machias Union stated that “parties driving for pleasure are invited to use the course”.

Related Posts
No image
Last holdout joins PVC
No image
Pierre Little, the newspaper's publisher, explains how to spot Fake News
Calais Celtic Concert series opens 7th season with award-winning Skipper’s Alley