The following is a first person account of what happened during those trying times as recorded by Lydia Whitney Sherman, wife of Aaron Sherman a local carpenter who is most noted for building the Ruggles House at Columbia Falls, and daughter of Colonel Jeremiah O’Brien. She remembers distinctly the British occupation of Machias in 1814, then a girl of eleven years. When in her nineties her remembrances were recorded by her son George W. Sherman, who sent them to George Drisko, who printed her story in the March 9, 1897 issue of the Machias Union – as follows.
- Wild Blueberry Commission expansion bill introduced, small growers not happy
- Downeast families ready to testify in favor of vaccine choice, ‘informed consent’
- Collins champions elderly causes, sweeping reform
- Local teacher ready to race in NYC Half Marathon
- Revolutionary War Reenactors meeting set for March 25
#freepress 2016 issue 2017 issue Activities Addison Airport April 12 2017 issue April 19 2017 issue April 22 2015 Edition April 26 2015 Edition April 26 2015 Editon April 26 2017 issue April 5 2017 issue April 8 2015 Edition April 8 2015 Editon Aprili 26 2017 issue Arts and Entertainment August 16 2017 issue August 2 2017 issue August 23 2017 issue