Historic Nash building, grandfather to Main Street

by Sarah Craighead Dedmon

 Long before Machias’ Nash Building became a local symbol of Main Street decline and revitalization, it held a fruit and confectionary store operated by Italian immigrants. 

 Joseph Toschi came to Machias in the late 1800’s with his children and son-in-law, Ernest Mugnai. According to Mugnai’s great-grandson, Michael Hoyt, Mugnai imported fruit and candy by train from Boston to sell in his Machias fruit store.

Related Posts
Whitney’s brings Machias Glassworks into fold
Mrs. Mathy Terrill selected to participate in Holocaust Teacher Fellowship Program
No image
Wesley by Camille Hawkins