Historic Nash building, grandfather to Main Street

by Sarah Craighead Dedmon

 Long before Machias’ Nash Building became a local symbol of Main Street decline and revitalization, it held a fruit and confectionary store operated by Italian immigrants. 

 Joseph Toschi came to Machias in the late 1800’s with his children and son-in-law, Ernest Mugnai. According to Mugnai’s great-grandson, Michael Hoyt, Mugnai imported fruit and candy by train from Boston to sell in his Machias fruit store.

Related Posts
No image
Land Transfers by Deed May 19, 2017 through May 31, 2017
No image
Plastic pollution demands activists get plan in place
The Lubec Brewing Company sets an ambiance of community togetherness