MVNO.5.6.14.Falls.jpg

The Newspaper

The Machias Valley News Observer has been serving Washington County citizens and businesses since 1852. Initially it was owned by George Parlin, whose grandson would take it over in the 1900’s. The newspaper of today is an amalgamation of four newspapers, two of which, the Union and the Republican, pre-date the Civil War.

The paper became the Union-Republican in 1924, the Machias Valley News in 1930, and, with the absorption of the Addison Observer in 1932, the Machias Valley News Observer. In 1967 the paper was bought from the widow of Francis Parlin by Jay Hinson and Eugene Townsend. Karen Hinson became the editor in 2005. The MVNO remains the county-seat weekly and is distributed in paper and on-line versions throughout the country.

The Machias Valley News Observer is located at 41 Broadway in Machias, Maine.
For more information please contact us at (207) 255-6561.

Terms of Use / Privacy — This site is the exclusive property of Machias Valley News Observer, Inc.  © 2014

Mobile Users


You can now read the Machias Valley News Observer on any mobile devices that supports HTML5 including the iPad, iPhone, Kindle Fire and most Android devices.
Order now...