Historic Nash building, grandfather to Main Street

by Sarah Craighead Dedmon

 Long before Machias’ Nash Building became a local symbol of Main Street decline and revitalization, it held a fruit and confectionary store operated by Italian immigrants. 

 Joseph Toschi came to Machias in the late 1800’s with his children and son-in-law, Ernest Mugnai. According to Mugnai’s great-grandson, Michael Hoyt, Mugnai imported fruit and candy by train from Boston to sell in his Machias fruit store.

Related Posts
No image
Senior scramble at barren view
Columbia News
Local woman becomes international best-selling author