Historic Nash building, grandfather to Main Street

by Sarah Craighead Dedmon

 Long before Machias’ Nash Building became a local symbol of Main Street decline and revitalization, it held a fruit and confectionary store operated by Italian immigrants. 

 Joseph Toschi came to Machias in the late 1800’s with his children and son-in-law, Ernest Mugnai. According to Mugnai’s great-grandson, Michael Hoyt, Mugnai imported fruit and candy by train from Boston to sell in his Machias fruit store.

Related Posts
No image
Cherryfield and Milbridge news
No image
DAC winter sports allstars selected
No image
Jonesboro head-on collision under investigation